Recently the media has been filled with stories of unaccompanied minors heading north from countries in Central America. Gang violence, economic insecurity, and a lack of opportunities are frequently cited as the reasons youth are pushed out of their countries of origin and in to the United States
How do you address these issues head on? How do you create more opportunities for education, creative expression, and economic security within El Salvador? While the solution is complication, the first steps to take are simple- let the youth take the lead.
Since 2002, EcoViva has supported youth programming in the Lower Lempa region of El Salvador. Overtime, the programs have changed to reflect the needs of local youth to include leadership training, capacity building, educational opportunities and extracurricular activities including art and sports.
To ensure the continuation of these programs and to strengthen the future generations in the Lower Lempa, we founded the Viva Fund Campaign in 2011 at our 15th anniversary celebration. Initially a scholarship fund, the Viva Fund has expanded along with our programs in El Salvador to include support for other initiatives. This year, youth have become entrepreneurs, putting their education and leadership training into practice by creating economic opportunities for themselves and other members of their community.
Today, we kick off our 4th annual Viva Fund Campaign. Please join us in celebrating the vibrant young leaders, taking control of their lives and investing in the future of their communities. Over the next six weeks, we will be sharing stories from the Youth Program and raising money to support their continued efforts. Donate today to ensure these efforts thrive.
Here are some ways to support the 2014 Viva Fund Campaign:
- Donate– Any amount helps. $15 can buy materials to support he artisan cooperative, $54 can pay for a field trip, and $80 can buy a bicycle.
- Become a Viva Fund Ambassador. Email me (Tricia) to join our team of crowdfunding ambassadors, spreading the word and fundraising to support the youth program
- Share the link to our donation page with your friends and family – through email, social media, or a short note.
- Host a house party or happy hour to tell your friends about why you support the Viva Fund
- Have other ideas? Email me to get started!
We thank you for your support and look forward to sharing more about the Youth Program in the weeks to come!